How to send in an animal hair sample
- Fill out the information sheets either print them out or fill them out directly online. Click here to fill out animal form online Click here to print out animal form.
- Cut the hair sample: Main hair on a horse is excellent. Belly hair on a dog or a cat is fine. Hair closest to the head may be more accurate as it is with humans but it is not necessary. Before cutting the hair sample, clean the area with the clean piece of cloth and some rubbing alcohol. This is probably better than cleaning the hair with water or soap. Once the sample is cut, do not wash the sample in any way, as this will skew the readings of the hair test. Cut the sample as close as possible to the skin, and throw away any hair or fur that is more than 1 inch long from the skin.
- Send information sheets, hair sample, and payment to:
Rainbows and Butterflies
P.O. Box 1947
Cottonwood CA 96022 USA
Payments can be made by credit card on this website Online payment for animal hair testing , or write checks payable to Heather Kneale. Money orders are also accepted. Forms can also be filled out directly on this website Animal online testing forms.
Once the hair sample is received it usually takes 3 weeks to get your program.
HAIR CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANIMALS
- CLEAN AREA WITH A CLOTH AND RUBBING ALCOHOL. This is better than washing the animal with soap and water.
- CUT HAIR FROM THE BELLY OR NECK, HEAD AREA FOR CATS AND DOGS (FROM THE MANE FOR HORSES) OR FROM ANYWHERE POSSIBLE.
- SET EACH SAMPLE DOWN ON A DESK OR TABLE. MEASURE ABOUT 1 INCH OR 2 CENTIMETERS FROM THE CUT END NEAR THE SKIN. CUT OFF AND DISCARD ANY HAIR THAT IS MORE THAN ABOUT 1 INCH OR ABOUT 2 CENTIMENTS LONG FROM THE SKIN END. Shorter hair is excellent, and the shorter the better, in fact. AVOID SENDING HAIR THAT IS LONGER THAN 1 TO 1.5 INCHES LONG. Also do not send hair cut from the ends of long hair. It will skew the results.
- SEND ENOUGH HAIR. The lab requires 125 mg of hair. If you have a paper scale (call or email me to send one to you if you are in the United State) it must tip and touch the table or desk for you to have enough hair. Otherwise, please fill a tablespoon with hair. Then place the hair sample in a envelope and write the animals name, type of animal (dog, cat, etc..) , and age and gender on it. AVOID SENDING HAIR IN PLASTIC BAGS OR ALUMIUM FOIL.
- PRINT THE ANIMALS NAME, TYPE, AGE, AND GENDER ON THE HAIR SAMPLING ENVELOPE.
IF YOUR HOME HAS A WATER SOFTENER. Do not wash animal with a water softener before sampling the hair. Water softeners skew the hair test results.
NOTE: We do not diagnose disease, nor do we prescribe or treat any health condition.
HOW OFTEN TO SEND IN A RETEST FOR ANIMALS:
Animals generally need a retest every six months.