2. Cut the hair sample: Watch How to cut hair sample for short hair: Cutting a short hair sample or Cutting a Long Hair Sample If you have a water softener, wash hair at least 4 times in non softened tap or reverse osmosis water. Head hair is preferred but can also use underarm hair or other body hair. Pubic hair is not advised. Make sure to cut sample when hair is clean (washed within 24 hours) and dry.
3. Send information sheets, hair sample and payment to:
P.O. Box 65
Shingletown, CA 96088
Payments can be made by credit card on this website, Write checks payable to Heather Kneale, or send a money order. Forms can also be filled out directly on this website.
Once the hair sample is received it usually takes 3 weeks to get your program. All programs are emailed.
Hair Cutting Instructions
1. SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR THE SAME DAY, OR THE DAY BEFORE SAMPLING IT. Cut sample 1 to 24 hours after washing. Use a plain shampoo if possible. Preferably do not add conditioner or any other products on the hair after washing it on the day you will take the sample. AVOID sending dirty, sweaty or greasy hair.
2. CUT HAIR FROM ANYWHERE ON THE HEAD AND AS CLOSE TO THE SCALP AS POSSIBLE. It matters little where on the head you cut it. The way to avoid bald spots is to cut several small samples and combine them. If you cannot use head hair, the second best is beard hair. Underarm is ok also. Please do not send in pubic hair because it is not as accurate.
3. SET EACH SAMPLE DOWN ON A DESK OR TABLE. MEASURE ABOUT 1 INCH OR 2 CENTIMETERS FROM THE CUT END NEAR THE SCALP. CUT OFF AND DISCARD ANY HAIR THAT IS MORE THAN ABOUT 1 INCH OR ABOUT 2 CENTIMETERS LONG FROM THE SCALP END. Shorter hair is excellent, and the shorter the better, in fact. AVOID SENDING HAIR THAT IS LONGER THAN 1 TO 1.5 INCHES LONG. Also do not send hair cut from the ends of long hair. It will skew the results.
If you shave your head cut hair with a clean electric razor. Save the clippings in a paper envelope and then razor cut it again in a week or so, and repeat perhaps a few times until you fill a tablespoon with hair or tip the scale if you have a paper scale to weight hair (email or call me and I can send one to you).
4. SEND ENOUGH HAIR. The lab requires 125 mg of hair. If you have a paper scale (call or email me to send one to you) here is a video on how to use: How to Use Hair Sampling Scale. Otherwise, please completely fill a tablespoon with hair. Then place the hair sample in a envelope and write your name, age and gender on it. AVOID SENDING HAIR IN PLASTIC BAGS OR ALUMINUM FOIL.
5. PRINT YOUR NAME, AGE AND GENDER ON THE HAIR SAMPLING ENVELOPE.
TINTS AND DYES. These rarely affect the test because they do not contain any minerals. Therefore, you may sample dyed hair.
PERMANENTS OR BLEACHED HAIR. These treatments somewhat alter the structure of the hair. Sample the hair before a treatment or wash the hair for at least a few weeks before sampling the hair.
IF YOUR HOME HAS A WATER SOFTENER. Before sampling hair you must shampoo it four times with unsoftened tap water or reverse osmosis water from the supermarket.